Cats can be extremely affectionate at times and then distant moments later. What you may take as a personality trait, could actually be an indication of oral pain. Unfortunately, the changes tend to be gradual, starting with a lack of interaction.
February is Pet Dental Health Month, which makes it the perfect time to learn potential signs of oral health problems in cats.
- Grooming slows or comes to a halt- your cat may have more mats, look greasy or have a dull coat
- Your previous friendly and playful cat may act more distant than usual, not reaching out for human companionship. We sometimes think it may just be an aging change
- There are changes in eating or sleeping patterns- we all know cats are masters of the cat nap. But if your cat is sleeping more than usual that may be a sign of illness. Your cat may turn their nose up at hard treats or food if their teeth are diseased.
- Fish breath is not normal!
- Brushing teeth- yes you can brush your cat’s teeth. We are happy to show you how.
- Protect your cat’s health with daily oral care at home such as regular tooth brushing and offering treats that provide a healthy benefit.We also have great water additive products approved by the Veterinary Oral Health Council.
- Feed your cat FELINE GREENIES® Dental Treats daily to control plaque and to help prevent periodontal disease- Cats LOVE these.
What may start as a small problem could turn into something bigger if not taken care of, bacteria and other pathogens from periodontal disease can easily get into the cat’s bloodstream these bacteria and pathogens put the cat at greater risk for developing heart, kidney, liver and respiratory diseases. Here is a great article on cat dental care by one of my favorite veterinary information sites, veterinary partner.
While oral health changes may be slow, they can have serious impacts on a cat’s life. Fortunately, when you treat the symptoms and take away the pain, your cat will start feeling and acting like herself again.
If you are concerned about your cat’s or dog’s teeth- call to schedule a free Dental exam with Dr. Salinger during the month of February. We also have great goodie bags filled with dental care products for all patients that schedule a dental during the month of February. (professional cleanings and oral health exams can be scheduled for any month.)